Coronavirus: Current information from the HKB for prospective students
On this page you will find information from the Bern University of the Arts HKB on the effects of the coronavirus on HKB's operations. In particular on the operation of the various divisions and the current admission procedure for the individual degree programmes.
HKB Conservation and Restoration
The aptitude tests for the BA and MA in Conservation and Restoration will take place on the planned dates and without the candidates* having to appear in Bern. All registered candidates will be informed individually.
In the Conservation and Restoration Division courses take place online on the scheduled dates as far as possible. Besides Moodle, other platforms (e.g. Microsoft Teams) are also used. Some lectures take place via MS Teams.
Some courses depend directly on currently inaccessible resources (conservation studios, laboratory infrastructure, etc.) and have to be cancelled: As soon as a solution is foreseeable, students will be informed directly.
Enquiries to the department are best sent via firstname.lastname@example.org. The telephone in the department secretariat is manned for at least two hours a day.
HKB Continuing Education
Registration for the autumn semester 2020/21
You can already register for the courses in the autumn semester. We would be happy to advise you personally. Entrance examinations will take place, probably digitally.
To the current operation
In the HKB’s continuing education courses, teaching continues to take place in digital form.
For up-to-date information or questions about your continuing education programme, please contact the Director of Studies or the website of the individual programmes at hkb.bfh.ch/en/continuing-education.
HKB Design and Fine Arts
Portfolios from this year’s admission procedure cannot be collected at present. The pick-up date will be published at a later date. We thank you for your understanding.
BA Art Education
Dear applicants for the BA in Art and Design
The folders have been viewed, the message whether you are invited to the discussion round should have reached you already. Due to the exceptional situation, we are conducting the talks online. This takes more time, which is why we had to bring the dates forward to April 14-16. All further information can be found in the invitations. If you have any questions, please contact Maren Polte, the head of the study programme (+41(0)79 931 76 42).
BA Fine Arts
The interviews are organized and the invitations are sent out. The interviews will take place from 7 to 9 April 2020, so there is no need to worry. We will communicate the details in the invitations. Anselm Stalder, Head of Studies Fine Arts, will be happy to answer any questions at +41 79 215 79 66.
BA Visual Communication
Due to the Corona crisis, our portfolio review and the resulting decisions are delayed by a little more than a week. The admission interviews in April will be held via video conference. We ask you to be patient for a little longer.
MA Art Education
Dear applicants for the MA Art Education
Those who, due to the special and turbulent circumstances, were not able to apply for the Master Art Education in time, still have the opportunity to do so until 15 APRIL 2020. We are looking forward to your application on our website! Applications already received have been reviewed and the message whether you are invited to the interview round is on its way. We will conduct the interviews online. Details can be found in the invitations. If you have any questions, please contact Maren Polte, head of the study programme (+41(0)79 931 76 42).
If the events of the past few weeks have prevented you from applying to the HKB / MA Design, we would like to offer you the opportunity to do so by extending the deadline to Wednesday, 15. April 2020. We are looking forward to your applications here. The admission procedure will take place as planned, but the interviews will be held via video. If you have already applied, you will be informed within the next few days whether you will be invited to an interview.
BSc Multimedia Production
Dear applicants for the BSc Multimedia Production
Due to the Corona crisis we had to adjust the admission procedure. Now, it is possible to register for the studies until Sunday 31 May 2020. The aptitude test will take place at the beginning of May and additionally at the beginning of June, probably digitally. We are currently working out the details and will inform you as soon as possible about the further procedure. If you have any questions, please contact us by E-Mail.
MA Multimedia Communication & Publishing
Dear applicants for the MA Multimedia Communication & Publishing
Anyone who, due to the special and turbulent circumstances, was not able to apply for the Master Multimedia Communication & Publishing in time has until 31 MAY 2020 to do so. We are looking forward to your application HERE!
You will find details of the interviews in the invitations. If you have any questions, please contact the head of the programme Ruedi Müller (+41 79 400 96 16, email@example.com).
- The aptitude tests in music take place. Candidates send their videos to the relevant secretariats (classical music, jazz, opera, rhythm, sound arts, composition), which have each defined specific procedures. They are then available for a live interview via Skype & Co at a set time window.
- The classrooms and rooms at the HKB Music are still open and accessible to students, but the strict rule of 1 person per room applies, subject to compliance with all coronavirus rules and hygiene measures.
- Teaching continues, lecturers have switched to distance learning and continue to supervise students to ensure teaching and learning performance.
Diploma Examinations and Concerts
- We expect to be able to hold all diploma examinations and concerts from the beginning of May, albeit certainly in a slightly different form than usual (possibly without an audience, etc.). There must be sufficient time for rehearsals and preparation. We are doing everything we can to ensure that students will be able to take a regular degree in 2020. Of course we follow the instructions of the authorities regarding public and private events.
- The admission exams for the MA Expanded Theater for the autumn semester 2020 take place online. It is not necessary to travel to Bern.
- The next admission exams for the BA Theater will take place, as planned, in the autumn semester 2020 for the spring semester 2021.
Swiss Literature Institute
Admissions interviews – BA Literary Writing
The admissions interviews will take place, as planned, from 21 to 23 April 2020, but are expected to be conducted digitally.