This interdisciplinary project investigates the inﬂuence of artistic redesign of interior spaces on the individual experience of waiting.
- Lead school Bern Academy of the Arts
- Institute Institute of Design Research
- Research unit Environmental Communication Design
- Funding organisation SNSF
- Duration 01.04.2011 - 30.09.2013
- Project management Prof. Dr. Arne Scheuermann
- Head of project Dr. Harald Klingemann
Prof. Dr. Minou Afzali
Course of action
In contrast to information-based waiting management, we here undertake a holistic intervention taking into account visual, acoustic, tactile and olfactory elements. Based on findings from the sociology of time and assumptions on the impact of “healing arts”, we ﬁrst make baseline measurements in a waiting room at the public authorities and at a hospital. We then investigate the effects of a week-long observation-based spatial intervention in comparison to a transformation of the space that is an “invitation to act”. The evaluation uses data from interviews and observations as well as measurements of medical stress factors and indoor climate parameters. The reduction of waiting stress is of considerable significance in terms of quality management.