Project evaluation “Mainstreaming food loss reduction initiatives in SSA”
BFH-HAFL has been mandated with the end-of-project evaluation for the program “Mainstreaming food loss reduction initiatives for smallholders in food deficit areas”, financed by SDC and jointly implemented by FAO, WFP and IFAD.
- Lead school School of Agricultural, Forest and Food Sciences
HAFL Institut Hugo P. Cecchini
- Research unit International Agriculture and Rural Development
- Funding organisation Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft (Bundesverwaltung)
- Duration 15.03.2020 - 31.03.2021
- Project management Prof. Dr. Dominique Guenat
- Head of project Prof. Dr. Dominique Guenat
Prof. Dr. Dominique Guenat
- Partner Direktion für Entwicklung und Zusammenarbeit DEZA
- Keywords Post-harvest losses, project evaluation, FAO, WFP, IFAD
In most countries in Africa postharvest food losses (PHL) are significant and constitute an important inhibitor to food security and nutrition among the most vulnerable social classes. In Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) in particular, cumulative losses at post-harvest and processing stages have reached up to 40% of total production. Based on this background, the SDC has been implementing programs since 2008 on postharvest management (PHM) in SSA with a common goal to increase food security of smallholder farmers through reduced PHL at farm and community level.