Posmo Ethical Data Market - Creating a trustworthy data space for mobility
In this project, a secure market for mobility data is being developed and automated on behalf of the Posmo Cooperative. The ethical governance model guarantees that privacy is valued more highly than economic interests.
- Lead school School of Engineering and Computer Science
- Institute Institute for Data Applications and Security (IDAS)
- Research unit IDAS / Identity and Access Management (IAM)
- Funding organisation Innosuisse
- Duration (planned) 01.09.2022 - 31.08.2024
- Project management Prof. Dr. Annett Laube
- Head of project Prof. Dr. Annett Laube
- Project staff Dominic Baumann
Genossenschaft Posmo Schweiz
- Keywords Posmo, Ethics, Ethical Governance, Mobility Data, Privacy, Synthetic Data, Innosuisse, IDAS, Anonymisation
The Posmo (POSitive MObility) Cooperative collects mobility data of a quality not previously available in Switzerland. Besides serving as a basis for decision-making for the design of more-sustainable mobility, the data will be made available for research, urban development or mobility planning in a data market. The goal of the Cooperative is not economic profit, but to make a vital contribution to a better future for Switzerland. Since mobility data is highly sensitive in terms of privacy, in a previous Innocheque project Posmo worked with researchers from the Institute for Data Applications and Security IDAS on drafting an initial concept for the ethical data market, which is now to be developed further.
Course of action
The Posmo mobility data market is active. Mobility data is being collected on a cooperative basis and some initial projects (e.g. with the city of Zurich) are already underway. The processes for data anonymisation and aggregation that have already been identified, which are currently carried out on a case-by-case and ad-hoc basis, will now be automated. Additionally, synthetic data will be made available to potential customers to allow them to assess the usefulness of the data.
Interested parties can already collect data via the Posmo One app or even become a Posmo member. For groups or companies, Posmo offers Posmo Projects that can answer specific questions about mobility behaviour. For example, one could imagine a BFH Posmo Project that researches student mobility in and around the new Biel/Bienne campus.