Development of sustainable Swiss fish feed
The aim of this project is to study how fish meal can be replaced with local and sustainable protein sources without leading to nutritional deficiencies in carnivorous fish.
- Département responsable Haute école des sciences agronomiques, forestières et alimentaires
- Institut Agronomie
- Unité de recherche Animaux de rente et chevaux
- Organisation d'encouragement Autres
- Durée (prévue) 01.08.2017 - 30.04.2018
- Responsable du projet Thomas Janssens
- Direction du projet Thomas Janssens
- Équipe du projet Thomas Janssens
- Partenaire Swiss Food Research
- Mots-clés Aquaculture, alternative proteins, fish feed, sustainability
Carnivorous fish production in Switzerland is increasing. A more sustainable feed for carnivorous fish is needed. There is a growing interest in alternative proteins. The legislation is becoming increasingly favorable in EU and CH. Use of locally produced, sustainable feed would increase the added value of production and improve the recycling of nutrients within the food and feed industry.
Perform a literature search of all scientific publications related to the replacement of fish meal by other protein sources to get an overview of the existing knowledge and the substitution alternatives for this project; hold meetings with potential partners from all relevant fields to discuss interest in collaboration and added value to the project.