Innovative bio-based wood ash/natural fibre reinforced composites
Wood ash as a resource for the production of innovative bio-based composite materials
- Département HESB | Architecture, bois et génie civil
- Pôle de recherche Matériaux et la technologie du bois
- Champ de recherche Matériaux composites et développement de mobilier
- Organisme de financement SEFRI
- Durée 01.01.2007 - 30.11.2008
- Responsable du projet Frédéric Pichelin
- Direction du projet Milena Properzi
- Équipe du projet Reto Pattis
- Partenaires - établissements de recherche, y c. BFH HESB | Architecture, bois et génie civil
- Mots-clés wood, ash, composites, bio-based
The experience gained within the project will be used to create the basis for the development of an innovative bio-based composite. As results of this investigation the optimal composition (wood ash/natural fibres) for the targeted product will be defined and the characteristics of the composite will be measured. On the technical point of view, the new composite is expected to be light with high strength-to-weight ratio and substantially fire resistant.
The aim of the project is to investigate the potentials of wood ash as a resource for the production of an innovative natural fibre reinforced bio-based composite.
wood based materials, wood based panels
Within the frame of the study the opportunity of combining wood ash with wood particle and tannin-based adhesives to manufacture composite boards was investigated. The impact of the tannin extract type and pH on the mechanical properties of the material, was studied. It was found that the incorporation of 15% of wood ash on the board was possible. However, the use of wood ash lead to certain obstacles. To have a better understanding of wood ash, future research was planned.
The work within this project enabled the acquisition of new competences on the field of inorganic materials and analytic techniques for wood ash. One master degree thesis was completed and two new student semester projects were launched.