CARE4C - Carbon smart forestry under climate change
CARE4C combines expertise and research in carbon management in forests with advanced career building qualification by teaching, training and involving ESR's. The project includes climatic zones from Mediterranean to sub-boreal areas.
- Lead school School of Agricultural, Forest and Food Sciences
- Institute Multifunctional Forest Management
- Research unit Forest Production
- Funding organisation Europäische Union
- Duration (planned) 01.01.2018 - 31.12.2021
- Project management Prof. Dr. Martin Ziesak
- Head of project Prof. Dr. Martin Ziesak
Prof. Dr. Martin Ziesak
FORA Forest Technologies SLL
Szkola Glowna Gospodarstwa Wiejskiego Poland
Agresta S. Coop
Ministerium für Klimaschutz, Umwelt, Landwirtschaft, Natur- und Verbraucherschutz des Landes NRW
Technische Universität München
Universidad de Valladolid
Grosse Kreisstadt Traunstein
Libera Universita di Bolzano
Universita degli Studi di Padova
Provincia Autonoma di Bolzano
Bialowieski Park Narodowy
- Keywords climate change, carbon sequestration /footprint, forestry, risk assessment, sustainability
CARE4C aims at substantially expanding knowledge about carbon sink by forest growth and carbon source by forest operations in order to enable carbon smart forestry under climate change.
Course of action
The forest types of interest include pure/ mixed stands as well as complex structured close to nature forests. We track climate induced impacts on carbon sequestration on cell, organ, tree, landscape level. For a broad spectrum of forest types and management approaches we measure and compile information about carbon sink/ source, model the carbon balance, take into account economics and derive carbon smart forest management options under climate change .
Extension to iFOS; proposal for a standardized protocol for fuel consumption analysis in forest operation.