Franziska Baumann Dozentin
Hochschule der Künste Bern
Improvisation - Composition
Contemporary Vocal Arts Practice
MA Composition & Creative Practice
BA Improvisation / Composition
Contemtporary Vocal Arts Practice
Instant Composing / Free Improvisation
Voice & Live Electronic
Interdisciplinary Group Coaching
Embodied Human-Computer Interaction in Vocal Music Performance
New Vocalities, Contemporary Vocal Arts Practice
Gestural Interfaces, Multivocal Voice, Extended Voice, Gestural Sensor Technology
- Franziska Baumann has an international concert career as a soloist, in various improvising ensembles, in music theater, and with interdisciplinary projects. As a pioneer of extended vocal techniques and live electronic processing with sensor interfaces, the Swiss vocalist, composer and sound artist creates works at the intersection of voice, gesture, mediated voice and spatialized sound, discovering and interweaving new modes of perception, vocal creation and sonic expression.
Festivals such as Donaueschinger Musiktage, Audio Art Festival Krakau, Audio Art Festival Seoul, ISCM New World Music Days-CH, Taktlos Basel & Zürich, Suonoporilpopulo Montréal, Festival Musique Actuelle Victoriaville Canada, Festival de Musique de Création Québec, Soundout Festival Canberra-AU, Audio Foundation Auckland, Purpur Festival CapeTown, Festical Jazz em Agosto, Lisbon, Festival Hurta Curdel Madrid, Matrix Festival Leipzig and many others. Concert tours in Germany, Holland, Romania, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Belarus, France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Egypt, USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea.
In her experimental new opera productions such as VOXLabYrinth (2008), Tsanfleuron (2010), Liquid Souls (Donaueschinger Musiktage 2011), Fictions (CH 2012), Interzones (Cape Town 2014), Nomad-X (Saarbrücken D/Warsaw-PL 2015), Das Raunen der Dinge (Musikfestival Bern 2019) and the a cappella trio VOXLab, Baumann's compositions and improvisations deal with a scenic practice for vocalists. Her recent research as artist in residence at ICST Zurich focused on composing and performing with gestural interfaces and the spatialized mediated voice in a 3D, ambisonic environment.
Franziska Baumann is the recipient of numerous grants and fellowships, including the Young Composers Award Switzerland (1994), Music Award of Berne (2008), Artist's Residencies in SouthAfrica (2014) & Poschiavo (2016), ICST Fellowship Zurich (2017/18), Entr'act Fellowship New Zealand (2019), Landis & Gyr 6-month working grant London (2022). Her work has been broadcast on various radio and TV stations.
Since 2006 she has been teaching improvisation, contemporary vocal performance and live electronics at the Hochschule der Künste Bern HKB. She has been a guest lecturer at several universities and was Alex Nowitz's doctoral examiner at the Royal University of Music in Stockholm in 2018/19.
Her research interests include the intersection of philosophy and performance in technological environments, especially the role of the body in the age of technological change. She regularly gives lectures and workshops and is part of several research projects such as New Vocalities (Amsterdam 2006), Sound (without) Body (Berne/ Lüneburg 2007/08/15), Gesture Performance (Berne 2010), Disembodied Voices (Zurich 2012), Voice as a musically-performative phenomenon in postmodern theater (Berne 2018), member of the examination board of the artistic PhD of Alex Nowitz Vocal Art's Praxis & Gestural Live Electronics (Stockholm 2018/19).
- Seit 2006 Dozentin HB Bern
- Seit 2014 Gastdozentin / externe Expertin ZHdK Zürich
- 2017/18 Gastdozentin /Gastkünstlerin IEM, Institut für Elektronische Musik Graz
- 2018/19 Mitglied Expertenkommitte PhD Absolventen Royal University of Stockholm
- 2018 Gastdozentin / Gastkünstlerin Hochschule für Musik Hamburg
- 2020 Lecturer / Speaker / Gastkünstlerin ICLI, International Conference on Live Interfaces, Trondheim
- 2021 Gastdozentin / Gastkünstlerin Hochschule für Musik Oslo, Opera Department
- 1985 1990 ZHdK Zürich
Sprachen- und Länderkenntnisse
- Deutsch - Muttersprache oder zweisprachig
- Englisch - Verhandlungssicher
- Französisch - Fliessend
- Spanisch - Grundkenntnisse