'Instructive editions' offer an important, hitherto largely unnoticed witness to academic and professional musical practice in the 19th century.
- Lead school Bern Academy of the Arts
- Institute Institute Interpretation
- Research unit Performance and interpretation
- Funding organisation SNSF
- Duration 01.08.2011 - 31.01.2016
- Project management Prof. Dr. Kai Köpp
- Head of project Prof. Dr. Kai Köpp
Dr. Cla Alfred Mathieu
Gesellschaft für Musikforschung
Orpheus Research Centre in Music ORCiM
They were edited by famous musicians (such as Louis Spohr, Clara Schumann, Hans von Bülow, Hugo Becker and others) and comprise not just detailed expression markings in the musical text but also a commentary on it. These commentaries could take up more than half of the printed page and were also printed separately.
Course of action
In the context of an SNSF professorship, we are evaluating these instructions according to a sound-based list of priorities. They will then be compared both with instructions on musical performance from the time and with findings gained from early musical recordings. On the basis of these sources it is possible to make a reliable evaluation of different interpretational modes in musical practice of the 19th century.