Environment and Conflict in West Africa
The research project shall contribute to conflict avoidance and resolution related to the use and protection of natural resources. The results will serve as a key basis for applied conflict avoidance frameworks.
- Lead school School of Agricultural, Forest and Food Sciences
- Institute Multifunctional Forest Management
- Research unit Forest Policy and International Forest Management
- Funding organisation Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft (Bundesverwaltung)
- Duration 01.04.2013 - 31.12.2015
- Project management Dr. Astrid Mirjam Zabel von Felten
- Head of project Dr. Astrid Mirjam Zabel von Felten
Dr. Astrid Mirjam Zabel von Felten
- Partner EDA
- Keywords Conflict avoidance, resource mapping, forest, West Africa
The project goal is to develop methodological guidance on West African resource conflict and conflict avoidance within REDD+ that can be used in the region and also in Swiss positions and UN convention processes.
Course of action
A scientific review will be produced on factors found to improve natural resource conflict prevention and avoidance. The factors identified in the scientific review will then be discussed and developed further with stakeholders in the selected African countries. These findings will feed into an online tool that will be developed for natural resource mapping and conflict avoidance. The tool will be applied to the West African region.