Data is a raw material in our knowledge society. Public authorities also produce, collect and process data to fulfill their legal responsibilities.
- Lead department Bern Academy of the Arts
- Additional departments Business School
- Institute Institute of Design Research
- Research unit Knowledge Visualization
- Funding organisation Others
- Duration 01.01.2014 - 31.10.2015
- Project management Daniel Schoeneck Stauffer
- Head of project Daniel Schoeneck Stauffer
Christoph Stähli Weisbrod
Johann Jakob Fehr
Prof. Dr. Reinhard Riedl
Opendata.ch - Swiss Chapter of Open Knowledge
Weita Service AG
Geschäftsstelle E-Government Schweiz
Behind the ongoing process of opening up this data, there lie expectations of greater transparency in politics, better participation in politics, an increase of knowledge in society, and a higher degree of efficiency in business and administration. In parallel to this development we can observe a trend towards the visualization of information.
Course of action
It is thus of interest to open up OGD as a field of investigation with regard to its visual potential. From the perspective of communication design, little is known at present about the capabilities of visualizations that arise from OGD. This project will design conditions for successful visualizations and perspectives for innovation in OGD.