Since the 1870s, granulated basic blast furnace slag has been used as a mortar aggregate.
- Lead school Bern Academy of the Arts
- Institute Institute Materiality in Art and Culture
- Research unit Technology in Art and Culture
- Funding organisation Others
- Duration (planned) 01.01.2017 - 31.12.2017
- Project management Dr. Petra Dariz
- Head of project Dr. Petra Dariz
- Project staff Nadim Scherrer
Course of action
This research project aims to determine the composition of granulated slag produced in Switzerland by means of the microscopic and spectroscopic analysis of relicts in historical mortar samples. We hope to find a correlation between the chemical and mineralogical composition of the slag sand and the specific trace and heavy metal signatures of the local iron ore deposits used at that time.