«In hommage from the multitude» – Positionen nicht-äquidistanter Mikrotonmusik des 20. und 21. Jahrhunderts
This project is dedicated to the work of five composers of microtonal music from different cultural backgrounds.
- Lead department Bern University of the Arts
- Institute Institute Interpretation
- Research unit Intersection of Contemporary Music
- Funding organisation SNSF
- Duration (planned) 01.08.2018 - 31.07.2021
- Project management Roman Brotbeck
- Head of project Roman Brotbeck
João Carlos Victor
Fachhochschule Nordwestschweiz, Hochschule für Musik
They either ignored (Johnston, Sandberg) or fought against (Partch, Risset, Smetak) the main trends of the equidistant tonal system that has dominated music life down to the present day. Their goal was not to limit themselves to a few standardised intervals, but to explore their potential for endless diversity. To this end they designed and built new instruments, conceived new notational systems and created their own aesthetic world view. This search for ‘biodiversity’ in music makes their respective stances highly topical today.