ITTO Promotion of smallholders' forest landscape restoration in West Africa
Forest landscape restoration approaches are increasingly cemented on the global political agenda and promoted technically with the development of guidelines, tools and diagnostic instruments.
- Lead school School of Agricultural, Forest and Food Sciences
Multifunctional Forest Management
HAFL Institut Hugo P. Cecchini
- Research unit Forest Policy and International Forest Management
- Funding organisation Others
- Duration (planned) 01.08.2019 - 30.11.2021
- Project management Prof. Dr. Jürgen Blaser
- Head of project Prof. Dr. Jürgen Blaser
Prof. Dr. Jürgen Blaser
Dr. Mélanie Feurer
- Partner International Tropical Timber Organisation ITTO
- Keywords forest landscape restoration, smallholder plantations, West Africa, case studies
The project aims to promote smallholders' forest landscape restoration by collecting case studies from 6 countries in West Africa and by sharing results and collectively identifying lessons learnt and future pathways.
Course of action
1. In-country preparation of case studies in Ghana, Togo, Benin, Côte d'Ivoire, Liberia and Mali (done by national experts in coordination with ITTO). 2. Regional workshop on promoting smallholders' FLR in West Africa. 3. Comprehensive analysis and lessons learnt for best practices in smallholder FLR. Our role is to coordinate the country case studies, to facilitate the regional workshop, to write the final report and to present the results to a wider audience.