woodNANObonding – Holz verklebt Holz
The goal of this project is to develop cellulose structures as aqueous suspension adhesives for bonding cultural artefacts made of wood.
- Lead department Bern University of the Arts
- Institute Institute Materiality in Art and Culture
- Research unit Material analyses
- BFH centre BFH Centre for Arts in Context
- Funding organisation Others
- Duration (planned) 01.01.2019 - 31.12.2020
- Project management Karolina Soppa
- Head of project Karolina Soppa
Course of action
Restorers from the Bern University of the Arts HKB and wood researchers from Empa, the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology, are working together to systematise wood adhesion, to simplify decision processes by creating an appropriate toolbox, and at the same time to develop a more environmentally friendly material and reduce the use of products in restoration practice that are hazardous to one’s health.