Advancing sustainable agriculture in Ukraine
Sub-optimal farming practices in Ukraine lead to undesirable consequences from farm to country level, such as unemployment in rural areas and thus worsening living conditions for the rural poor.
- Lead department School of Agricultural, Forest and Food Sciences
- Institute Resource-efficient agricultural production systems
- Research unit Sustainability and ecosystem
- Funding organisation Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft (Bundesverwaltung)
- Duration (planned) 01.11.2019 - 31.07.2022
- Project management Jan Grenz
- Head of project Jan Grenz
- Keywords Sustainability advisory, farm management, Ukraine, agriculture
Through the project, a (business) model for sustainability farm advisory in Ukraine shall be piloted within two value chains (wheat flour and mustard seeds), and successful cases of sustainable farm management shall be described.
Course of action
The project consists of 3 components: 1. Sustainability advisory and co-development of sustainability roadmaps with ten farmers. This service is delivered by a group of international experts. 2. Development of a business model for sustainable farm advisory, which shall be implemented in Ukraine. 3. Spread the information about the benefits of sustainable agriculture, via individual consultations with influential stakeholders.