Components Reuse in the Swiss Construction Industry
Reuse is an important part of the circular economy. To make the reuse-circle work, we need to understand how business models can work and what customers value about reused components.
- Lead school Business School
- Additional schools School of Architecture, Wood and Civil Engineering
- Institute Institute for Innovation and Strategic Entrepreneurship
- Funding organisation Others
- Duration (planned) 01.07.2022 - 31.12.2023
- Project management Prof. Dr. Sebastian Gurtner
- Head of project Dr. Nadine Hietschold
- Project staff Barbora Starovicova
- Keywords Reuse, Circular Economy, Wiederverwendung, Kreislaufwirtschaft
Current production and consumption practices exceed the resource capacities of our planet. An alternative form of economic activity, the Circular Economy, has therefore gained popularity. Companies can contribute to the Circular Economy in particular through Sharing, Repair/ Maintainance, Reuse/ Redistribution, Refurbishment/ Remanufacturing as well as Recycling.
Course of action
The aim of the BFH Transversal research project is to investigate the business and the customer side of the Swiss construction industry, as both are crucial components of business models. The aim is to find out: - Under which circumstances reuse business models are (not) used by companies so far. - Which factors influence the adoption and non-adoption of reuse products on the customer side. Special attention is paid to the perceived value of reuse components. If the value is visible to the customer side, this can have a decisive influence on the success of business models. The results make it possible to develop implications for how companies can successfully set up reuse business models.