Thomas Janssens Leiter Aquaforum
School of Agricultural, Forest and Food Sciences HAFL
Head of Aquaculture group
Fish farms management
Planning and construction of recirculation systems RAS
Farming protocols for various species
Aquaculture / Fish farming
Supervision of student works
Aquaculture / Fish farming
Development of the Swiss aquaculture sector
Optimization of farming techniques
Recirculation systems technology RAS
- Thomas Janssens is an expert in the field of Aquaculture.
He graduated as a Bio-engineer in Agricultural Sciences from Ghent University, Belgium in 2001 and has obtained an Executive Master in Business and Administration from HEC Lausanne, Switzerland in 2016.
Thomas has been active in the aquaculture sector since 2002. After working for a nutrition research center in Italy, he has managed large fish hatcheries and on-growing farms producing Cod in Scotland, Sole in Spain and Perch in Switzerland. This has brought him a strong background in technical and financial project management. He has extensive experience in both fish production and water recirculation systems technology and has designed and built production units.
Since 2016, as the head of Aquaculture research at the Bern University of Applied Sciences, he works on projects with Swiss industrial partners and supervises students. He has developed a professional training course, certified by the Federal Food Safety and Veterinary Office, with a focus on fish health.
Thomas also performs consultancy work, helping companies to start up and optimize their fish production.
Thanks to his extensive network and his experience in both research and applied production, Thomas can offer solutions to grow aquaculture species in the best possible way.
- 2016 – ... Head of aquaculture Bern University of Applied Sciences, Switzerland
- 2016 – ... Aquaculture consultant Switzerland and other countries
- 2008 – 2016 Site manager, Production of Perch Valperca S.A., Chavornay, Switzerland
- 2006 – 2008 Production manager, Production of Cod Stirling University / Marine Farms Ltd., Scotland
- 2003 – 2006 Hatchery manager, Production of Sole Culmarex S.A., Spain
- 2002 – 2003 Hatchery technician, Production of Cod Stirling University / Marine Farms Ltd., Scotland
- 2002 Research technician, R&D marine fish feeds Inve Technologies N.V., Italy
- 1997 – 2001 Master Bio-engineer in Agricultural Sciences Ghent University, Belgium
- 2015 – 2016 Executive Master in Business and Administration HEC Lausanne, Switzerland
Language skills and intercultural knowledge
- French - Native or bilingual proficiency
- Dutch - Native or bilingual proficiency
- English - Full professional proficiency
- German - Professional working proficiency
- Spanish - Professional working proficiency