Prof. Dr. Adam Andrzej Kurpisz
Prof. Dr. Adam Andrzej Kurpisz Dozent Tenure Track
Institut Applied Data Science & Finance
Dozent Tenure Track at Business School at BFH
Researcher at the Department of Mathematics at ETH Zürich
Algebraic Proof Systems
My research interests are focused on Combinatorial Optimization problems both from the perspective of constructing efficient algorithms and proving complexity bounds. The core of my research is applying methods from Real Algebraic Geometry to construct and analyze Semi-algebraic Proof Systems that, in turns, provide unified algorithmic frameworks (e.g. Sum-of-Squares algorithm). To prove strength and limitations of such Semi-algebraic Proof Systems I use various techniques from Linear Algebra, Fourier Analysis of Boolean Functions and Approximation Theory. During my PhD time I was working on Robust Optimization and this topic stays close to my heart. In free time I enjoy exploring random walks in graphs.
- I am a Professor for Operations Research in Tenure-Track at Business School at BFH and a Researcher Assistant in the Department of Mathematics at ETH Zürich.
Previously, I was the Head of Ambizione Junior Research Group hosted by Prof. Rico Zenklusen at the Institute for Operations Research (IFOR) of the Department of Mathematics at ETH Zürich.
Before joining ETH Zürich I had the pleasure to be a postdoctoral researcher and an exchange PhD student at IDSIA under the supervision of Prof. Monaldo Mastrolilli and a visiting researcher at Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik hosted by Prof. Andreas Wiese.
I obtained my PhD degree under the supervision of Prof. Paweł Zieliński at the Department of Computer Science of the Faculty of Fundamental Problems of Technology at Wrocław University of Science and Technology, Poland.
- 2022 - Professor for Operations Research in Tenure-Track Bern Business School, Switzerland
- 2022 - Research Assistant Department of Mathematics at ETH Zürich
- 2021 - Co-founder and head of the Scientific Council Deeptale.ai, Switzerland/Poland
- 2017 - Co-Founder and Head of Algorithms Silencions, Switzerland/Poland
- 2015 - 2018 Postdoctoral researcher IDSIA, Switzerland
- 2009 - 2014 Ph.D. Mathematics Wroclaw University of Technology, Poland
- 2006 - 2011 M.Sc. Mathematics Wroclaw University of Technology, Poland
- 2004 - 2009 M.Sc. Computer Science Wroclaw University of Technology, Poland
Co-founder and advisor of Deeptale.ai
Co-founder and advisor of Silencions.com
Invited to Alumni Hall of Fame of the Department of Fundamental Problems of Technology at Wroclaw University of Technology
Distinction in nationwide Competition for Best Student Paper Award in Probability Theory and Applications of Mathematics, Polish Mathematical Society
Language skills and intercultural knowledge
- English - Full professional proficiency
- German - Professional working proficiency
- Italian - Limited working proficiency
- Polish - Native or bilingual proficiency