Dr. Paola Pierri
Dr. Paola Pierri Dozentin
Bern Academy of the Arts
Deputy Head of the Institute of Design Research
Coordinator of the Research Group «Social Design»
Lecturer at the MA Design
Member of the BFH "Caring Society" Commission
SINTA (Doktoratsprogramm gemeinsam mit der Universität Bern)
Anthropology of Technologies
Democratic Design and Innovation
Social Movements and Design Activism
- Paola has a doctorate in Design Anthropology from the London College of Communication and she specialises in critical studies of design and its impact on society and on political engagement.
Her research interest include the field of Anthropology of Technologies exploring questions of inequalities and justice, as well as investigating the implications of emerging technologies on our everyday lives and on our democracies (including modes of digital activism and participation).
She was previously Director of Research at Democratic Society where she led a research team researching innovative methodologies for civic participation in a ‘datafied’ society. She has been a Research Fellow at the Weizenbaum Institute, exploring questions of Digital Inequalities and Digital Sovereignty.
She has teaching experience lecturing in Design theory and practice at London College of Communication, Technische Universität Berlin and she has been Associate Professor at Polimi, in Milan.
- 2016 - 2020 Doctor of Philosophy in Design Anthropology London College of Communication
Language skills and intercultural knowledge
- German - Limited working proficiency
- French - Professional working proficiency
- Spanish - Professional working proficiency
- Italian - Native or bilingual proficiency
- English - Full professional proficiency