Prof. Dr. Debra Hevenstone
Prof. Dr. Debra Hevenstone Dozentin
School of Social Work
Abteilung Soziale Systeme
Research: comparative social policy, social insurance design, financing of social services, labor market integration
Teaching: Data & Statisics, Comparative Social Policy
Data and social services
Social policy design
Social Policy, Data Analysis, Management
Social service financing/contracts
Social insurance design
Gender & the labor market
Active labor market programs
Digitalization & data for practice
- Debra's research focuses on social policy design related to public policy financing and labor market policy. She has a strong interest in administrative data, quantitative methods, and simulation.
- 2023 Visiting Professor Evans School, University of Washington
- 2017-present Professor Bern University of Applied Sciences
- 2011-2016 Senior Researcher University of Bern
- 2013-2016 Senior Researcher University of Zurich
- 2010 Visiting Researcher MDRC, New York
- 2009-2011 Research Economist Policy Studies Institute, London
- 2007-2009 Visiting Researcher ETH, Zurich
- 2008 Visiting Collaborator International Labor Organization, Geneva
- 2006-2009 Editorial Assistant Journal of Sociological Methodology
- 2004-2005 Research/Teaching Assistant University of Michigan
- 2000-2003 Senior Research Analyst Brookings Institution, Washington DC
- 1999-2000 Research Assistant University of Chicago
- 1998-1999 Case Manager Big Brothers Big Sisters of King County, Seattle
- 1998-1999 Recruitment and Case Manager Denise Louie Head Start, Seattle
- 2003-2008 PhD in Sociology & Public Policy University of Michigan, USA
- 2006-2008 Certificate in Complex Systems University of Michigan, USA
- 2000-2001 MA in Social Science University of Chicago, USA
- 1994-1998 BA in History Bard College, USA
- 1997 Semester abroad in Social Sciences (BA) Universidad Blas Pascal, Argentina
- A1 French Migros Klubschule, 2021
- Certificate in Didactics, Bern University of Applied Science, 2018
- Essex Quantitative Methods Summer School, Bayesian Statistics, 2008
- Pedagogical Training for Teaching Assistants, University of Michigan, 2006
- Intensive Italian Madre Lingua, Bologna, 2006
- ICPSR Quantiative Methods Summer School, Geostatistics, 2004
- Intensive Spanish, Instituto Cultural Oaxaca,1995
New Public Policy Financing Models, Innovative or Ineffective?“ (Swiss Network for International Studies, 2019-2021)
Family Models and Unemployment: How Intra-Household Economics Moderate the Effects of Unemployment Insurance Design (Swiss National Science Foundation, 2018-2022)
Reducing Work After Childbirth: A causal estimate of long-run lost income (PI with Ana Fernandes, SNF, 2020-2021)
Hack4SocialGood. An event helping digitalization in the social services.
New Public Policy Financing Models: Innovative or Ineffective? (Swiss Network for International Studies)
Hevenstone, Debra; Fraser, Alec; Hobi, Lukas; Geuke, Gemma; Przepiorka, Wojtek (2023). The Impact of Social Impact Bond Financing.” Public Administration Review. https://doi.org/10.1111/puar.13631
Hevenstone, Debra; Fraser, Alec; Hobi, Lukas Christian; Geuke, Gemma (2022). Why is Impact Measurement Abandoned in Practice? Evidence use in evaluation and contracting for five European Social Impact Bonds Evaluation, 29(1), pp. 91-109. Sage Publications 10.1177/13563890221136890 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/13563890221136890>
Fraser, Alec; Knoll, Lisa; Hevenstone, Debra (2022) Contested Social Impact Bonds: welfare conventions, conflicts, and compromises in five European Active Labor Market Programs” 2022. International Public Management Journal.
Hevenstone, Debra; von Bergen, Matthias (2020). Public Private Partnerships in Social Impact Bonds: Competition Facilitating or Hindering Competition? Public Money and Management. 40(3)
Hevenstone, Debra; Fraser, Alec (2021) Social Impact Bonds 2.0? SIBs Growth in Europe May Reflect Politics and Lack of Accountability. Policy Brief Manchester Metropolitan and USC Price
Hevenstone, Debra; Hobi, Lukas (2020) Social Impact Bonds: Unterschiedliche Erfahrungen von Sozialdienstleistern. ZESO.
Hevenstone, Debra; Fraser, Alec; Hobi, Lukas (2020) International Perspectives on Social Impact Bonds: The views of German, British, and Swiss Providers of Labour Market Programmes. Oxford Go Lab Blog
Families Models and Unemployment (Swiss National Science Foundation)
Hevenstone, Debra; Kessler, Dorian; Luchsinger, Larissa (2023) What Limits Intra-Household Insurance or the "Added Worker Effect"? forthcoming in Socio-Economic Review
Kessler, Dorian; Hevenstone, Debra; Vandecasteele, Leen; Sepahniya, Samin (2022). Weathering the storm together: Does unemployment insurance help couples avoid divorce? Journal of European Social Policy, 33(2), pp. 248-263. Sage Publications 10.1177/09589287221141363 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/09589287221141363>
Kessler, Dorian; Hevenstone, Debra (2022). The impact of unemployment benefits on birth outcomes: Quasi-experimental evidence from European linked register data PLOS ONE, 17(3), pp. 1-13. Public Library of Science 10.1371/journal.pone.0264544 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0264544>
Kuhn, Ursina; Hevenstone, Debra; Vandecasteele, Leen, Sephniya, Samin; Kessler, Dorian (2023). Unemployment Insurance and the Family: How reemployment and economic precarity depend on family context (working paper, in progress)
Hevenstone, Debra; Kessler, Dorian; Kuhn, Ursina (September 2022). Arbeitslosenversicherung: gleiche Regeln, unterschiedlicher Schutz impuls : Magazin des Departements Soziale Arbeit(3), pp. 22-25. Berner Fachhochschule BFH, Soziale Arbeit
Reducing Work After Childbirth: A causal estimate of long-run lost income (Swiss National Science Foundation, with Ana Fernandes)
Fernandes, Ana; Hevenstone, Debra (2023). Income Losses Following First Births. (working paper, revision in progress)
MOZART: Models for the Future of the Labor Market 45+ (part of the National Innovation Network Age in Society (AGE-NT)) (employee)
Hevenstone, Debra; Neuenschwander, Peter (2020) BVG: Altersunabhängige Beitragssätze gegen Altersdiskriminierung? CHHS
Hevenstone, Debra; Neuenschwander, Peter; Kessler, Dorian (2023). How Pension Costs Impact Job Search and Wages: Are Higher Contributions for Older Workers More Equitable? (working paper, revision in progress).
Social Policy Book
Hevenstone, Debra; Jann, Ben (2016). Fiscal Federalism and Tax Equalization: The potential for progressive local taxes. University of Bern Social Sciences Working Papers 19.
Hevenstone, Debra; Jann, Ben (2014). Simulation in Methods of Empirical Social Research. Wiesbaden: Springer.
Hevenstone, Debra (2014). The Marriage Matching Problem with Information Limited by Social Networks. MMB & DFT 2014
Proceedings of the International Workshops SOCNET 2014 and FGENET 2014
Hevenstone, Debra (2008). “Employment Intermediaries: A model of firm incentives." 2008. Journal of Mathematical Sociology 33:1-37.
Hevenstone, Debra (2008). Academic Employment Networks & Departmental Prestige in Why Context Matters: Applications of Social Network Analysis. Wiesbaden: VS Verlag.
Labor Market Mismatch (SECO)
Buchs, Helen; Buchmann, Marlis (2017). Job Vacancies and Unemployment in Switzerland 2006-2014: Labor Market Mismatch and the Significance of Labor Market Tightness for Unemployment Duration. (left project due to maternity)
Hevenstone, Debra (2017). Defining a Labor Market and the Sensitivity of Estimates of Labor Market Mismatch (working paper discontinued during maternity-copy available upon request).
Government Reports (as employee)
Fritschi, Tobias; Neuenschwander, Peter; Hevenstone, Debra; Lehmann, Olivier; Läser, Jodok; Hänggeli, Alissa (2023). Arbeitsmarktrelevante Merkmale von Personen mit Schutzstatus S. SEM Schlussbericht.
Greenberg, David; Knight, Genevieve; Speckesser, Stefan; Hevenstone Debra (2013). Improving DWP assessment of the relative costs and benefits of employment programmes. Department of Work and Pensions Working Paper No. 100
Hendra, Richard; Ray, Kathryn; Vegeris, Sandra; Hevenstone, Debra; Hudson, Maria (2011). Employment Retention and Advancement (ERA) demonstration: Delivery, take-up, and outcomes of in-work training support for lone parents. Department of Work and Pensions Working Paper No. 727.
Berger, Joël; Hevenstone, Debra (2016). Norm Enforcement in the City Revisited: An International Field Experiment of Altruistic Punishment, Norm Maintenance, and Broken Windows. Rationality and Society.
Hevenstone, Debra (2014). Social Policy's Middle Way: Housing Cooperatives & Inclusionary Zoning. Swiss Sociological Association Conference Proceedings.
Hevenstone, Debra (2013) Review of “Justice and Conflicts: Theoretical and Empirical Contributions.” in Social Justice Research. 26(1): 97-103.
Hevenstone, Debra (2001). Testing Variation in Welfare Reform. Anthropology News 42.
LIVES , Swiss Centre of Expertise in Life Course Research working groups
Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management
European Network for Social Policy Analysis
Society of Labor Economists
Language skills and intercultural knowledge
- English - Native or bilingual proficiency
- German - Full professional proficiency
- Spanish - Limited working proficiency
- French - Elementary proficiency
- United States of America
- United Kingdom