- Research Project
System for monitoring the wearing time of orthodontic elastic bands
Multi-bracket orthodontic therapies use elastic bands between the upper and lower jaw to adjust the positions of the jaws in relation to each other. To improve patient cooperation, the wearing times of the elastic bands must be monitored with sensors.
- Lead department Engineering and information technology
- Institute Institute for Human Centered Engineering HuCE
- Research unit Medizintechnik
- Duration (planned) 01.01.2018 - 01.01.2020
- Project management Dr. Marcel Jacomet
- Head of project Dr. med. dent. Otmar Kronenberg
- Project staff Dr. Marcel Jacomet
Universität Basel, Klinik für Kieferorthopädie und Kindermedizin, Prof. Dr. med. dent Carlalberta Verna
Otmar Kronenberg AG, Dr. med. dent. Otmar Kronenberg
- Keywords Sensor technology, low-power, miniaturisation, orthodontics, monitoring system in medical technology
For fixed multibracket braces, there is as yet no option for monitoring the patient’s cooperation. The development of a mini-sensor that is easy to fix in place fills a gap in the market and offers huge commercial potential.
The aim of the project is to develop a monitoring system to determine the amount of time rubber bands in fixed multibracket dental braces are worn. The challenge will be to produce an ultra-miniature product that consumes as little energy as possible. A suitable form has to be found which is acceptable to patients; it must feature a practical solution for fitting and removal and the data transfer has to work simply and reliably.