Between conversation and primordial sounds
This project investigates strategies of musicalization of language and speech in the progressive music theatre of the last 50 years and discusses thereby the role and function of the author, the interpreter and the recipient.
- Lead school Bern Academy of the Arts
- Institute Institute Interpretation
- Research unit Intersection of Contemporary Music
- Funding organisation SNSF
- Duration 01.12.2012 - 31.12.2015
- Project management Xavier Dayer
- Head of project Leopold Dick
LMU München, Institut für Phonetik
Fachhochschule Nordwestschweiz FHNW
IRCAM Sound analysis-synthesis
ULC Speech, hearing and phonetic sciences
Phonetisches Laboratorium, Institut für Computerlinguistik, Universität Zürich
Schweizerischer Nationalfonds SNF
- Keywords Composed Theatre, phonetics, speech perception, contemporary music, perception experiment
The superordinate aim of the project is to develop methods to understand the functionality and the significance of the aestheticized voice in our society.
Course of action
The comparison between representative productions of the Composed Theatre in the period from 1962 to 2012 shall expose some historic tendencies and developments. The comparative analysis is combined with the research on speech perception in the theatrical context. Some artistic test arrangements will bring together both these approaches.