FOCUS - Advances in FOrestry Control and aUtomation Systems in Europe
FOCUS will demonstrate how innovative sensor technologies and control methods can facilitate the integration of control and planning mechanism in the main forest-based value chains in Europe (lumber, pulpwood, biomass, cork).
- Lead department School of Agricultural, Forest and Food Sciences
- Additional departments School of Engineering and Computer Science
Multifunctional Forest Management
Research Institute for the Security in the Information Society RISIS
RISIS / Security Engineering Lab
Forest Ecosystem and Management
- Funding organisation Europäische Union
- Duration 01.01.2014 - 12.06.2018
- Project management Christian Rosset
- Head of project Christian Rosset
- Keywords Precision forestry, sensors, automation, integrated planning and control
The goal of FOCUS is to improve sustainability, productivity and product marketability of forest-based value chains through an innovative technological platform for integrated planning and control of the whole tree-to-product operations.
Course of action
FOCUS brings together leading SMEs, experts and organisations in the fields of precision forestry, sensors, automation and software development. Case studies will be set in Finland, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria and Portugal covering the four main forest-based value chains in Europe (lumber, pulpwood, biomass, cork), from forest planning and monitoring forest growth, harvesting, wood transportation and industrial processing.