Improvement of pigeon pea for plant type, early maturity, pod borer resistance and moisture stress tolerance
The network program on pigeon pea envisages its genetic improvement by biotechnological tools. The socio-economic component directs research to the farmers' needs and the socio-economic environment of pigeon pea smallholders.
- Lead department School of Agricultural, Forest and Food Sciences
- Institute Resource-efficient agricultural production systems
- Research unit International Agriculture and Rural Development
- Funding organisation Others
- Duration 01.05.2015 - 31.12.2019
- Project management Urs Egger
- Head of project Urs Egger
Aim of the project: Assessing farmers' needs and perception of preferred traits and features of technology related to pigeon pea cultivars in different cropping systems, cultivation practices, crop economics and constraints related to production at farm level
Course of action
The major output will be the development of improved pigeon pea cultivars for increased productivity and resistance to pd borer. Innovative products of research activities need to be widely adopted by farmers and consumers to realise economic welfare. As socio-economic partner of the project, we will provide a thorough understanding of socio-exonomic environment, adoption process and economic gains due to improved pigeon pea cultivars in complex and risk prone regions.