Guiding values for the opening-up of forests
Forest road networks grew historically. They represent technical options, as they were available during the respective construction time.
- Lead department School of Agricultural, Forest and Food Sciences
- Institute Multifunctional Forest Management
- Research unit Forest Production
- Funding organisation Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft (Bundesverwaltung)
- Duration 01.01.2016 - 31.12.2017
- Project management Prof. Dr. Martin Ziesak
- Head of project Prof. Dr. Martin Ziesak
Prof. Dr. Martin Ziesak
Prof. Dr. Luuk Dorren
- Partner Bundesamt für Umwelt BAFU
- Keywords Forestry, road construction, road density, timber harvest, GIS, modelling
In this methodological study it will be tested, whether and how an optimal road density can be derived, based on nowadays operational technology.
Course of action
The core of the project is a terrain based GIS analysis, which includes technical parameters, describing timber harvesting and extraction. Economic parameters are inlcuded by a seperate respective cost matrix. The result will be a situative recommendation of road densities.