Röntgenbestrahlung zur Desinfektion von cellulose-/papierhaltigen Archiv- und Kulturgütern
Disinfecting paper-based cultural heritage objects using gamma rays is not recommended on account of its destructive effect on cellulose.
- Lead department Bern University of the Arts
- Institute Institute Materiality in Art and Culture
- Research unit Material analyses
- BFH centre BFH Centre for Arts in Context
- Funding organisation Innosuisse
- Duration 01.03.2017 - 30.11.2018
- Project management Sebastian Dobrusskin
- Head of project Sebastian Dobrusskin
Course of action
Empirical observations indicate that hard X-ray radiation is less destructive to cellulose. The aim of this project is to determine if, and under what conditions, X-ray radiation might be an appropriate method to disinfect paper-based cultural artefacts. To this end, the dose of X-ray radiation will be reduced to a minimum, and its effect on moulds and its degrading impact on cellulose will be examined.