SCCER BIOSWEET - BIOmass for SWiss EnErgy fuTure
SCCER BIOSWEET focuses on the biochemical and thermochemical conversion of wood, biowaste and manure to gaseous and liquid biofuels with the goal to contribute to the Swiss Energy Transition 2050.
- Lead school School of Agricultural, Forest and Food Sciences
- Institute Agriculture
- Research unit Sustainability and Circular Economy
- Funding organisation Innosuisse
- Duration 01.01.2017 - 31.12.2020
- Project management Prof. Dr. Michael Hans-Peter Studer
- Head of project Prof. Dr. Michael Hans-Peter Studer
Eidg. Forschungsanstalt für Wald, Schnee und Landschaft WSL/FNP
Hochschule Luzern HSLU
Fachhochschule Nordwestschweiz FHNW
Ecole polytechnique fédérale
Paul Scherrer Institut (PSI)
- Keywords research consortium, liquid fuels, biogas, pretreatment, consolidated bioprocessing
The Studer group (agronomy) is an academic research partner in SCCER BIOSWEET involved in WPs "Biomass to Biogas" and "Biomass to liquid fuels".
Course of action
The Studer group focuses here on two topics i) the optimization of the steam-pretreatment of manure for enhanced anaerobic digestion and ii) on the up-scaling of a consolidated bioprocess (CBP). The current anaerobic digestion systems of manure have a low yield of only 25%. The goal is to double the methane production. On the other hand a CBP based on a microbial consortium was developed. The concept was proofed at the Liter-scale and needs to be up-scaled to the 150 L-scale.