Development of a security concept for the sale of mobility data
- Lead school School of Engineering and Computer Science
- Institute Institute for Data Applications and Security (IDAS)
- Research unit IDAS / Identity and Access Management (IAM)
- Funding organisation Innosuisse
- Duration (planned) 01.09.2021 - 28.02.2022
- Project management Dr. Annett Laube
- Head of project Prof. Dr. Annett Laube
Dominic Beat Martin Baumann
- Partner Genossenschaft Posmo Schweiz
The cooperative POSMO (POSitive MObility) collects mobility data from its members with the Posmo One mobile app. The data collected in this way is to be used as a decision-making basis for the design of more sustainable mobility and sold for this purpose to third parties (e.g. research, urban development or mobility planning). What is special about POSMO is the data transparency. The members of the cooperative manage their data themselves. They can also see at any time which data is sold to whom and accordingly exert influence over the sales process. Since it is possible to draw conclusions about individuals from the mobility data collected, the data is very sensitive. Therefore, it should be ensured that the data of the members of the cooperative is protected and that buyers of the data cannot gain information about individuals through clever inquiries.
Course of action
Together with POSMO, researchers from the Institute for Data Applications and Security IDAS are developing a security concept for the sale of mobility data. A potential buyer is provided with a synthesised data set on which he can prepare a data query. This query is then to be checked automatically. The aim is to ensure that neither single nor multiple queries can lead to conclusions about individuals and that the privacy of the members of the cooperative is protected at all times.