Luigi Cherubini and the composition teaching at the Paris Conservatoire
In music education today, subjects such as harmony,
ear training and composition are hardly related
to each other.
- Lead school Bern Academy of the Arts
- Institute Institute Interpretation
- Research unit Music Theory
- Funding organisation SNSF
- Duration (planned) 01.08.2021 - 31.07.2025
- Project management Dr. Claudio Bacciagaluppi
- Head of project Dr. Claudio Bacciagaluppi
Gigliola Di Grazia
Université de Lausanne
Université de Genève
It was different in the time of Luigi Cherubini (1760–1842), the respected teacher and later Director of the Paris Conservatoire. This project will examine Cherubini’s writings on music theory, the comprehensive training in composition offered at the Conservatoire, and improvisation and composition teaching for piano students in Paris (ca 1810–1840).