Advanced practice in the emergency departement from a physiotherapy perspective
Physiotherapists can counteract the continuous increase of patients with musculoskeletal diagnoses in emergency centres.
- Lead school School of Health Professions
- Institute Academic-Practice-Partnership Insel Gruppe/ BFH
- Funding organisation Others
- Duration (planned) 01.02.2023 - 31.12.2023
- Project management Dr. Anja Raab
- Head of project Dr. Anja Raab
Prof. Dr. Kai-Uwe Schmitt
- Partner Inselspital
- Keywords physiotherapy, advanced practice roles, emergency departement
The implementation of physiotherapy in the emergency departement of a university hospital in Bern is so far unique in Switzerland. We want to raise awareness of advanced practice roles of physiotherapists, in physiotherapy itself, but also beyond that in other health care professions, in health care policy and in society. The aim of this study is to clearly describe the activities of musculoskeletal physiotherapists in the emergency centre on an advanced competence level and consequently to define the competence profile for physiotherapy in the emergency centre. The advanced practice role of physiotherapy in the emergency centre should be anchored. The further development of this care approach is relevant for its sustainable implementation and possible expansion in Switzerland. This project can also provide important inputs for education and training in the field of musculoskeletal physiotherapy.