Medical informatics specialists conduct demanding IT-projects with their know-how in medical process- and computer science. They analyze and specify the architecture and conduct the development of medical applications and their network in the health care or lead the production development in software houses.
Together with the basic studies of the classical- and the latest computer science, the studies comprise an introduction into the Swiss health care, medical basic concepts, medical- and nursing processes, clinical studies and interoperability.
Great emphasis is laid on project- and self management as well as on the structural organization of the health establishment. Further, you specifically consolidate your linguistic- and economic competences.
The acquired basics can be consolidated within a large offer of specializations. Students experience the practical aspect of their activities in practical trainings as well as project works.
|Title / Qualification||Bachelor of Science in Medical informatics|
|Main study subjects / specialisations|
|Program study options||Full-time|
|Language(s) of instruction||German|
|Campus(es)||Biel (main location) und Berne (individual performances)|
|Course begins||Week 38|
|Deadline for applications||Application deadline for the Bachelor program|
|Subsequent master program|
|Special features||Unique offer at a Swiss university of applied sciences.|
The professional environment for medical informatics specialists is highly dynamic, in accordance with the medical development and the health care. We are only at the beginning of a development, which will newly define the health care.
Competitive pressure, cost reduction, increasing efficiency, improved quality and transparency are required and can hardly be realized without medical informatics.
Possible areas of employment include
- Hospitals: they are building up new medical informatics-departments, where medical applications are obtained, installed, integrated and operated. Accurate knowledge of medical processes is therefore necessary. IT know-how is essential. At the same time project-management is a fundamental tool
- ndustry: Medical Applications and telemedical administration are the domains of the medical computer specialists in the industrial world. The architecture, specifications and development are conducted or rather managed. Innovation management and production management are further important fields of activity. Project management a matter of course.
- Authorities: Benchmarking, statistics, architecture of future networking and interoperability of the corresponding data streaming are tasks awaiting the medical computer specialist.
- Insurances: New innovative services, operating and integrating applications of medical data are in demand here.
- Consultancy companies: the changes in the health care are constantly demanding new adaptation of the demands and development for their participants. The IT-field has thereby a special significance. Expertise and project management are thus fields of activity, in which medical process know-how and IT-competences are expected.
Above examples demonstrate how manifold and fascinating the perspectives for students of Medical informaticss are today and in the future.