Creating sustainable solutions with wood
Passion and vision for wood – for decades we have been inspired by the desire to increase and impart knowledge about the sustainable use and processing of this natural raw material and construction material. We work with the Civil Engineering Division, the Architecture Division and our research units to develop integral solutions for the use of wood in all its forms through our lecturing and research activities.
Biel/Bienne Wood Innovation Centre
A centre of excellence for wood that is unique in Switzerland has existed in Biel for over 60 years where the Higher Technical School of Wood Biel has close ties with the bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes in wood technology as well as the research and development and continuing education activities of the Department of Architecture, Wood and Civil Engineering at Bern University of Applied Sciences BFH. Under this structure, the reputation of this unique centre of knowledge and innovation extends far beyond Swiss borders and is the source of many success stories of companies in the wood industry.
Knowledge in practice
Our lecturing and continuing education courses as well as our research and development activities are geared to the needs of the wood industry and related sectors.
- Theory and practical application are closely linked on the advanced federal diploma, bachelor’s degree and master’s degree programmes: practical experience is assured by trips, semester papers and project theses in cooperation with companies from the wood industry. By incorporating knowledge from research and development, students are given a glimpse into the future.
- We foster discussion between professionals, students and experts through various exchange platforms and continuing education opportunities. From half-day events to courses lasting several months, we offer a wide range of options to meet the needs of industry professionals.
- Through the courses, programmes, conferences and events of our continuing education activities, we convey the very latest knowledge and provide an opportunity for dialogue between industry professionals.
- In the context of research projects, we work with partners from industry and society to develop solutions for their products and services. Our range of services covers consulting, expert appraisals, product testing, field and lab tests and new developments.
- Study and research under one roof: In Biel we have a fully equipped technology park that is unique in Switzerland with CNC machines and robots, a testing and chemistry lab for materials, wood components and surface treatment, climatic chambers as well as testing facilities for windows, furniture, construction materials and support structures. The technology park’s doors are open to researchers, research associates, lecturers and students.
- Most of the tests performed are accredited in accordance with ISO/IEC 17025 by the Swiss Accreditation Service (SAS). The tests are internationally recognised.
With federal diploma courses, bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes, various continuing education courses and research and development activities, we combine knowledge and practical application for the wood industry and the sustainable use of timber in all of its forms and applications.
Courses at the Higher Technical School of Wood Biel:
The Wood Division has close links with industry and institutions in Switzerland and abroad.
Associations, alumni and other organisations
The Master of Science in Wood Technology programme celebrates its 10th anniversary.
The Bachelor of Science in Wood Technology programme celebrates its 30th anniversary.
With the launch of the new corporate design of the Bern University of Applied Sciences, the name was changed: the Technical Schools of Wood Biel were renamed the Higher Technical School of Wood Biel.
The Master of Science in Wood Technology programme is taught in English. The new curriculum for the Advanced Federal Diploma of Higher Education in Wood Technology was launched at the Technical Schools of of Wood Biel.
The first students started the Master of Science in Wood Technology programme.
The university becomes the Department of Architecture, Wood and Civil Engineering of the Bern University of Applied Sciences (BFH-AHB) as part of the reorganisation of the Bern University of Applied Sciences.
Implementation of the Bachelor of Science BFH in Wood Engineering, merger of the universities of applied sciences in Burgdorf and Biel to form the University of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Wood and the affiliated Technical Schools of Wood Biel.
Merger of the universities of applied sciences in Burgdorf and Biel to form the University of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Wood and the affiliated Technical Schools of Wood Biel.
Relocation to the new teaching building
Integration into the Bern University of Applied Sciences and establishment of the University of Applied Sciences with the Federal Diploma of Higher Education in Wood Engineering, Swiss Institute of Higher Education for Wood Technology, Biel
Founding of the research and development department
Establishment of the Technical Schools of Wood Biel
Start of the Higher Technical Institute course in engineering
Founding of the Professional College of Wood