Development of sustainable Swiss fish feed
The aim of this project is to study how fish meal can be replaced with local and sustainable protein sources without leading to nutritional deficiencies in carnivorous fish.
- Lead-Departement Hochschule für Agrar-, Forst- und Lebensmittelwissenschaften
- Institut Agronomie
- Forschungseinheit Nutztiere und Pferde
- Förderorganisation Andere
- Laufzeit (geplant) 01.08.2017 - 30.04.2018
- Projektverantwortung Thomas Janssens
- Projektleitung Thomas Janssens
- Projektmitarbeitende Thomas Janssens
- Partner Swiss Food Research
- Schlüsselwörter Aquaculture, alternative proteins, fish feed, sustainability
Carnivorous fish production in Switzerland is increasing. A more sustainable feed for carnivorous fish is needed. There is a growing interest in alternative proteins. The legislation is becoming increasingly favorable in EU and CH. Use of locally produced, sustainable feed would increase the added value of production and improve the recycling of nutrients within the food and feed industry.
Perform a literature search of all scientific publications related to the replacement of fish meal by other protein sources to get an overview of the existing knowledge and the substitution alternatives for this project; hold meetings with potential partners from all relevant fields to discuss interest in collaboration and added value to the project.