Development of sustainable Swiss fish feed
The aim of this project is to study how fish meal can be replaced with local and sustainable protein sources without leading to nutritional deficiencies in carnivorous fish.
- Lead school School of Agricultural, Forest and Food Sciences
- Institute Agriculture
- Research unit Livestock and Horses
- Funding organisation Others
- Duration 01.08.2017 - 30.04.2018
- Project management Thomas Janssens
- Head of project Thomas Janssens
- Project staff Thomas Janssens
- Partner Swiss Food Research
- Keywords Aquaculture, alternative proteins, fish feed, sustainability
Carnivorous fish production in Switzerland is increasing. A more sustainable feed for carnivorous fish is needed. There is a growing interest in alternative proteins. The legislation is becoming increasingly favorable in EU and CH. Use of locally produced, sustainable feed would increase the added value of production and improve the recycling of nutrients within the food and feed industry.
Course of action
Perform a literature search of all scientific publications related to the replacement of fish meal by other protein sources to get an overview of the existing knowledge and the substitution alternatives for this project; hold meetings with potential partners from all relevant fields to discuss interest in collaboration and added value to the project.