Dr. Maria Franco Mosquera
Dr. Maria Franco Mosquera Tenure Track Dozentin
School of Engineering and Computer Science
Maria Franco is an Assistant Professor in Circular Economy at the Department of Industrial Engineering and Management at the Bern University of Applied Sciences. She is primarily involved in the Horizon 2020 Project CIRCUSOL, which is aimed at applying circular economy principles to the solar PV industry.
Besides her research duties, Maria is also a lecturer of Organization and Change Management, Machine and Business Ethics, as well as Sustainable Engineering for undergraduate students at the Industrial Engineering and Management study program.
Since 2019, Maria also works as the International Advisor for WING, assisiting incoming and outgoing exchange students in the process of finding, applying and getting settled at the BFH or abroad.
BSc Industrial Engineering and Management
Organization and Change Management
Machine and Business Ethics
Teaching Assistant for the master-level course "Systems Analysis" (University of Zurich, 2015).
Closed-loop supply chains
Sustainable supply chains
Sustainable innovations and business models
System Dynamics and Group Model Building
- Since 2018 Postdoc Researcher Bern University of Applied Sciences (BFH)
- 2015-2018 Doctoral Research Assistant University of Zurich & University of Basel
- 2013-2015 Co-owner & Partner Stratendo
- 2013-2014 System Dynamics Consultant Interamerican Development Bank (IDB) & Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- 2013-2014 Human Resources Consultant Interamerican Center of Tax Administration
- 2011-2012 System Dynamics Consultant & Business Development Manager United Machinery Group Myanmar
- 2015-2018 PhD in Business Administration and Economics University of Zurich
- 2010-2012 MPhil System Dynamics & MSc Business Administration University of Bergen, Universitá Degli Studi di Palermo, Radboud University Nijmegen
- 2005-2010 BSc Management Science Universidad de Especialidades Espíritu Santo (International Careers Program)
- 2008 Undergraduate exchange State University of New York (SUNY) at New Paltz
- July-August 2017: Visiting Researcher at the Circular Economy Centre (CEC) (University of Cambridge, Judge Business School). Report: “The Internet of Things as an enabler for circular business models”
CIRCUSOL - CIRCUSOL is a Horizon 2020 project aimed at applying circular economy principles to the solar photovoltaic industry. CIRCUSOL brings together academic and industry partners to deal with issues in circular design, circular business models, and circular EOL management for solar panels and EV batteries.
Franco, M. A. (2021). Buyer-supplier collaboration for eco-innovations in a circular economy: A network theory approach. Sustainable Innovation: Strategy, Process, and Impact. C. L. Voinea, N. Roijakkers and W. Ooms, Routledge/ Taylor & Francis.
European Master in System Dynamics ‐ Scholarship sum EUR 48.000 (100%)
Tuition for a studies abroad at SUNY New Paltz
Undergraduate studies at UEES ‐ Scholarship sum USD 40.000 (100%)
Tschopp, A. Circular economy: A case study of a sustainable business model. Thesis for obtaining the degree of Master in Business Administration. University of Zurich 2016
Kupper, K. Modeling and analyzing obesity with system dynamics. Thesis for obtaining the degree of Master in Business Administration. University of Zurich 2016
Language skills and intercultural knowledge
- English - Full professional proficiency
- Spanish - Native or bilingual proficiency
- German - Professional working proficiency
- French - Elementary proficiency
- Italian - Elementary proficiency