Alternatives in the Swiss dairy industry
It is a challenging time for the Swiss dairy sector. While farmers are in a weak position within the industry, regional projects emerge, trying to improve their general situation.
- Lead department School of Agricultural, Forest and Food Sciences
- Institute Resource-efficient agricultural production systems
- Research unit International Agriculture and Rural Development
- Funding organisation SNSF
- Duration 01.01.2013 - 29.05.2015
- Project management Dr. Karin Zbinden Gysin
- Head of project Jérémie Forney
Dr. Karin Zbinden Gysin
- Keywords Alternative agrifood networks, dairy farming, Switzerland, empowerment, embeddedness
This research project looks at the networks that are created in three case studies. The aims are to identify and foster the positive effects they have on farmers' position in the industry
Course of action
The case studies are inspired by a already long tradition of alternatives in agri-food networks. However, they still hold by several characteristics that are typical of "conventional" systems. This project looks at the logics that are mobilized by the actors and at the potential impact on the relations between them. In doing so, it contributes to the development of sustainable systems.