Urban forests are often frequented and intensively used by the population. With SUNWoods, HAFL researchers are focussing on urban forest management with respect to the needs of the various forest-user groups in urban areas.
- Lead school School of Agricultural, Forest and Food Sciences
- Institute Multifunctional Forest Management
- Research unit Forest Ecosystem and Management
- Funding organisation Others
- Duration 01.04.2013 - 31.12.2016
- Project management Urs Mühlethaler
- Head of project Dr. Bianca Baerlocher
Dr. Karin Zbinden Gysin
Dr. Bianca Baerlocher
Pan Bern AG
Gebert Rüf Stiftung
Stadt- und Ortsbürgergemeinde Baden
- Keywords Needs-oriented forest management, long-term partnerships, sustainable city development
Goal of the project: Development of participatory processes and tools within the management of urban forest in order to solve existing user conflicts.
Course of action
Identifying and implementing innovative ways of fostering the proactive cooperation of the involved, concerned and interested actors with the authorities and forest managers. Developing guidelines for sustainable management of urban forest resources. Setting up local working groups and building up a national network to enable a more collective and more transparent decision-making process and knowledge exchange.
Contribution to research in the area of urban forestry, practical experience in Switzerland in the area of ‘neighbourwoods’, production of three case studies in Switzerland
Interconnexion nationale et internationale de la HAFL sur les aspects sociaux de la foresterie urbaine, développement de « SUNgroups » (poursuite et réalisation des idées SUNWoods), établissement d’un réseau suisse de foresterie urbaine.