Vom «Vortrag zur Interpretation»
This project offers a new picture of Beethoven reception in the long 19th century.
- Lead school Bern Academy of the Arts
- Institute Institute Interpretation
- Research unit Performance and interpretation
- Funding organisation SNSF
- Duration 01.08.2014 - 31.07.2017
- Project management Dr. Thomas Gartmann
- Head of project Dr. Thomas Gartmann
BFH Technik und Informatik
Conservatorio di Musica di Perugia
Museum für Musikautomaten - Sammlung Dr. h.c. H. Weiss-Stauffacher
Editorial performance instructions in two complete editions by Ignaz Moscheles are being measured against sound recordings from different media, while historical sound recordings are being contextualized by a critical study of the textual sources. By linking philological work with digitally supported critical source analyses of acoustic recordings on the one hand and editorial practices for mechanical instruments on the other, we are breaking new ground in methodological terms. These methods promise new, deep insights into the historical progression from «performance» to «interpretation». The findings gained will prove useful for piano playing far beyond Beethoven and will be of great interest to media theorists.