Smelling More, Smelling Differently
This project orchestrated meaningful dialogues on smell as a cultural practice.
- Lead school Business School
- Institute Institute for Innovation and Strategic Entrepreneurship
- Research unit Strategic Entrepreneurship
- Funding organisation SNSF
- Duration 01.03.2017 - 30.06.2020
- Project management Prof. Dr. Claus Noppeney
- Head of project Prof. Dr. Claus Noppeney
Prof. Dr. Nada Endrissat
- Keywords Socio-materiality, Sense-making; Scent, Cultural practice, science communication, creativewriting, website, workshops, creativity, creativepractice
The goal of the project is a dialogue with the public on the outcome of ongoing research projects.
Course of action
This communication project developed different communicative approaches and formats: Films and other forms of ethnographic data were prioritized and selected with respect to its communicative value.
“When Fragrances Tell: Olfactory Storytelling” was the title of a focused festival kind of program that encouraged unconventional forms of meaning making by fusing creative writing with critical smelling. The website scentculture.tube provides access to ethnographic field data and positions scent as a creative way of life.
The communicative formats are used in workshops with industry & other innovative contexts. The website is continuously used as a key resource in the growing field of craft perfumery.