mikafi offers everyone the chance to roast their own coffee, thereby opening up opportunities to create individualised tastes.
- Lead school Bern Academy of the Arts
- Institute Institute of Design Research
- Research unit Social Communication
- Funding organisation Others
- Duration (planned) 01.01.2019 - 31.12.2020
- Project management Prof. Dr. Arne Scheuermann
- Head of project Marius Disler
- Partner Gebert Rüf Stiftung
A digital platform is used to order raw coffee beans direct from the coffee farmers. The appropriate raw beans are suggested using taste preferences selected by the consumer, and then an algorithm calculates the correct roasting profile. This profile is then transmitted by the platform to the online home-roasting device, which refines the community’s future results with each roasting. This way, sustainable coffee-roasting becomes child’s play, and provides consumers with the freshest possible coffee, individually flavoured.