Artificial Intelligence applications in HRM: opportunities and risks
This project extends our understanding of how artificial intelligence transforms the HRM function and affects specifically the hiring and promotion of employees considering risks for discrimination.
- Lead department Business School
- Additional departments School of Engineering and Computer Science
- Institute Institut für Optimierung und Datenanalyse IODA
- Research unit Diversity and Inclusion
- Funding organisation Others
- Duration (planned) 01.01.2020 - 31.12.2021
- Project management Prof. Dr. Caroline Straub
- Head of project Prof. Dr. Caroline Straub
Prof. Dr. Olivier Mermoud
Prof. Dr. Erik Graf
Prof. Dr. Jérémie Knüsel
- Keywords AI, Recruitment
Through digitization, organizations have new techniques at hand for managing their workforce. In the last decade, startups developed HR solutions based on artificial intelligence (AI), and now offer software for identifying suitable candidates for a job. Researchers and practitioners ask to be vigilant about how we design and train AI, as otherwise we risk constructing AI that mirrors a narrow and privileged vision of society, with its old, familiar biases and stereotypes.
Course of action
The aim of this project is to provide an overview of the status of AI use in Swiss companies and to design a pilot AI experiment.
• Literature review about AI in HRM. • Exchange with AI experts, AI providers and users. • Design of a pilot AI experiment.
The one-year project serves as a preliminary study for the development of instruments to reduce or overcome the risks associated with the use of AI in human resource management.