1. Contact us
We are happy to answer your questions about applying or advise you in developing a project idea. Contact us via email to schedule a consultation, whether in person, on the phone or via Skype.
Please prepare the following PDF files ready for your online application (max. 1 MB per file, passport picture: JPG):
- Identification card or passport
- Passport photo
- University entrance certificate (e.g. baccalaureate, vocational baccalaureate, specialised baccalaureate, Abitur certificate)
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of purpose (which area of specialisation – Entrepreneurship or Research – would you like to study in the MA in Design at HKB, and why? Max. 500 words)
If you are not a Swiss citizen:
- Residence permit (if available)
If you were enrolled at a different university:
- Confirmation of exmatriculation
- Transcript of records: diploma and/or academic transcript of prior learning achievements
Admission procedure calendar (PDF, 211 KB)
There is a CHF 100 application fee. There is an additional CHF 150 aptitude assessment fee. Each fee will be charged when appropriate. There are no waivers or refunds for withdrawn or abandoned applications.
3. Submit your portfolio
Please send us your digital or analogue portfolio.
Based on your portfolio, we will decide whether to invite you for an admissions interview.
Your portfolio may include the following components:
- select projects (results and documentation) from your bachelor’s studies
- select commissioned projects (results and documentation) created as a freelancer or employee
- select research projects (results and documentation)
- information on development of these projects
- comments on the projects
Please send your portfolio as a PDF or link to the administration of the Design and Fine Arts division.
Please label your portfolio with your name and ‘MA Design’ and post it to the following address:
Hochschule der Künste Bern HKB
Sekretariat Fachbereich Gestaltung und Kunst
You may also deliver your portfolio directly to the administration of the Design and Fine Arts division. Our office is located on the 1st floor. Our business hours are:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 8:30 am–12:00 midday
Tuesday, Thursday: 8:30 am–12:00 midday, 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
4. Present your project idea
If you are selected for an admissions interview, we will notify you by letter and include the appointment details.
You will have 20 minutes to present your project idea to our aptitude assessment committee. We will then question you about your project for 10 minutes.
The aptitude assessment committee includes the Head of Degree Programme (chair), at least two instructors and an assistant.
Please note that admissions interviews may not be repeated for any reason. However, you may apply to the programme twice.
5. Have a little patience
We will inform you of our admissions decision by May.
In addition to direct admission, we also compile a waiting list. If you are on the waiting list, we will inform you of our admissions decision by June.
We look forward to reviewing your application and wish you the best of luck.
We cannot enter into correspondence or provide information over the phone regarding the aptitude assessment. Bern University of the Arts assumes no liability for submitted portfolios.
Transferring from another university
If you are currently enrolled at another university and wish to transfer to our master’s degree programme in design, please contact us. In your online application, please make a note under ‘Comments’ that you wish to transfer universities, potentially starting at HKB in a more advanced semester.
ERASMUS and visiting students
If you are currently enrolled at another university and wish to complete part of your studies in our MA Design programme, please contact us.