Culture-specific care facilities for the elderly are an answer to the need among older immigrants to live in an environment that takes their personal and cultural background into account.
- Lead school Bern Academy of the Arts
- Institute Institute of Design Research
- Research unit Social Communication
- Funding organisation SNSF
- Duration 01.08.2013 - 31.08.2016
- Project management Prof. Dr. Arne Scheuermann
- Head of project Prof. Dr. Minou Afzali
Schweizerischer Nationalfonds SNF
Universität Bern, Institut für Sozialanthropologie
- Keywords environment, design research, communication design, community, migration, nursing home
Course of action
The goal of this study is to investigate the design and communication environment of so-called «Mediterranean» care homes for the elderly, in order to identify those aspects that are regarded as positive by its residents or that have a positive impact on their state of well-being. Furthermore, it will be examined whether these aspects can be adapted to regular long-term care facilities for the elderly. Finally, recommendations fo the design of culturally sensitive environments in facilities for the elderly and infirm will be developed that could support the transcultural shift in care facilities for which experts are calling at present.