Range of services
We conduct research and development across the entire process chain from idea generation to innovative products or services as well as impact analysis – in a user-centric and participative way with stakeholders in the fields of healthcare and sport.
Research and Development
Thanks to our broad-based technology, process, specialist and user expertise in medical engineering, medical informatics, healthcare and popular and elite sport, we offer a wide range of services in applied research and development. We take advantage of our national and international links with SMEs, healthcare institutions, sport associations and universities.
We provide comprehensive services across the process chain:
- Workshops on idea generation and establishing networks
- Feasibility studies
- User-centric design and development of innovative products and services
- Prototyping and small-batch production
- Data management
- Clinical studies and usability assessment
- Quality management and consulting in the field of regulatory requirements (ISO-13485 and MDR)
- Health economic evaluations
Support for spin-off and start-up companies
The Centre makes it easier for spin-off and start-up companies to gain access to laboratory facilities. The Foundation for Technological Innovation STI also supports projects with technological innovation potential through loans and coaching for young entrepreneurs.
Quality management and clean room for medical technology
- Quality assurance according to ISO 13485 for the design, development and manufacture of medical products
- ISO class 8 clean room equipped with production technology for microelectronics, laser processing, cleaning and medical packaging for the production of prototypes/small batches
- Enables the visualisation of processes in the healthcare system
- Real-to-life analysis of IT applications and their testing using simulated applications
Bern Movement Lab
- Fully equipped laboratory to record the dynamics of all facets of human motion
- Analysis of joint movements and forces in joints and muscles
- Analysis of neuromuscular control
Find more information about the Bern Movement Lab here.
Magglingen sports centre
- Full analysis of human motion and performance (e.g. extra-large treadmill, AlterG, LPM system)
- Indoor and outdoor equipment
Reha Reinfelden research laboratory
- Robot-supported equipment, including a treadmill (Lokomat) and a tilt table (Erigo) from Hocoma – state-of-the-art cardiorespiratory monitoring systems
Flexible cooperation with SMEs, healthcare institutions, sports associations and universities is successfully implemented in student projects:
- Semester project
- Bachelor’s thesis
- Master’s thesis (industry-sponsored)
Training + Continuing education
With bachelor’s, master’s and continuing education programmes, we offer qualifications for professionals at the appropriate level. The close links between education and the Centre’s services mean that new findings and developments are quickly incorporated into lecturing and enhance the focus on application.